Summer is here, bringing with it beach days, pool parties, and the ever-daunting task of selecting the right pair of swim shorts. But don’t worry – it’s all about understanding the main aspects of fabrics, fits, and functions. Read more to find out everything you need to know about picking the perfect pair for you.
Fabrics: More Than Just a Pattern
Fabric reigns supreme when it comes to swimwear. And it’s not just about the look, even though bold patterns are all the rage right now for men’s designer swim trunks and shorts. But the material of your swim shorts plays a vital role when it comes to your comfort and the lifespan of the garment.
- Polyester: Often chosen for its quick-drying abilities, polyester is durable and retains its color well. It’s a standard choice for those who frequent the pool, thanks to its chlorine resistance.
- Nylon: Lightweight and smooth, nylon offers a silky feel against the skin. It dries faster than most other fabrics, making it an excellent choice for those impromptu beach adventures.
- Cotton blends: While not as quick-drying as synthetic materials, cotton blends provide a softer, more natural feel. They are ideal for casual beachgoers who prioritize comfort over fast drying times.
Fits: From Snug to Casual
We all have our unique shapes, and thankfully, swim shorts cater to a plethora of body types. Here are some fit considerations:
- Classic fit: Falling mid-thigh, the classic fit offers a balance of comfort and style. It’s neither too tight nor too loose, making it a versatile option for various activities.
- Long fit: Reaching down to the knees or even below, this style echoes the boardshort look. It’s ideal for surfers or those who prefer a bit more coverage.
- Short fit: Embracing current fashion trends, the short fit sits higher on the thigh. It’s a bold choice for the modern man, offering freedom of movement and a dash of flair.
Functions: Beyond the Basics
Swim shorts aren’t just about swimming. Today’s designs incorporate features to enhance your beach or poolside experience. Look out for:
- Adjustable waistbands: Whether it’s a drawstring or Velcro, an adjustable waistband ensures your shorts stay put, no matter the activity.
- Mesh lining: Found inside many swim shorts, this feature offers additional support and comfort. It can also help prevent chafing, a common beach day dilemma.
- Pockets: A simple yet essential feature, pockets can store your essentials securely. Some even come with zippers or Velcro closures for added security.
- Quick-dry technology: Nobody likes the feeling of damp shorts hours after leaving the water. Many modern swim shorts employ quick-dry technology, wicking moisture away to expedite the drying process.
Choosing the right pair of swim shorts can seem overwhelming, but when you break it down, it all comes down to identifying what’s essential for you. Is it the softness of cotton or the quick-drying features of polyester? Do you prefer a classic fit or something more daring?
The perfect fit is out there waiting for you – it’s a blend of fabric, fit, and function that complements your body and lifestyle.