Curls are beautiful, but ask me how difficult the upkeep and styling are. Earlier, I detangled my curls, and in minutes, my hair used to be a mess. It’s great that my hairstylist helped me with the best homemade hair conditioner solution.
While I use the classic egg and olive oil combo, there are a few other combos to try for you. Do you want to know about the best conditioner for curly hair and make them at home? Here are some top ideas for you.
But before that, let me explain why making these solutions at home is really worth your effort.
Why Do I Need A Hair Conditioner For My Curly Hair?
It’s always a tough task to find the right curly hair shampoo and conditioner. In fact, many people suggest that a cleansing conditioner is enough for curls. But that is a classic mistake to make, I must say.
You cannot avoid shampooing your curls as you need to get rid of product buildup and excess oil from your hair. Similarly, a hair conditioner for curly hair has the following benefits.
- Defined curls and enhancement in their appearance
- Improved moisturization and moisture retention
- Conditioner for dry hair with curls stops hair damage and fall
- Makes frizz and curl management easier
- Lends your hair a glossy look
- Boosts the elasticity of your hair
- Makes your curls stronger
- Protects from heat damage
- Repairs hair damage
Discuss with your hairstylist and try any of the following recipes at home to get the best curls.
What Is The Best Hair Conditioner (Made At Home) For Curly Hair?
We want to try different hairstyles and can only do that when our hair is manageable and strong. The homemade conditioner recipes curated here are easy to make and work.
Coconut Oil Curly Hair Conditioner
Coconut oil is a classic homemade hair conditioner for curls and hair types. Coconut oil is excellent for your hair thanks to its deep moisturization properties.
Want to make this at home? Here is the recipe.
- Take two to three tablespoons of coconut oil and heat the oil up.
- Make a towel wet with hot water. Don’t forget to rinse it so that it does not drip water.
- Massage the hot oil properly from the scalp to the tip of your hair.
- Cover your oil-massaged hair with a wet towel.
- Keep it like that for around 50 to 60 minutes.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair, and make sure you use cold water for the same.
- You can use your regular hair conditioner to enhance the moisturizing effect of coconut oil.
Coconut oil is great for conditioning your curls because it does not get build up on the surface. It penetrates through your hair shaft.
Use coconut oil conditioner for a maximum of two times a week to get the best result.
Egg And Olive Oil Curly Hair Conditioner
I use this combo, and it works for my curls. Eggs are beneficial for your hair in multiple ways. Eggs maintain good health in your hair and boost shine. Further, the proteins present in eggs work wonders for your hair’s nourishment.
Olive oil is also packed with nourishing properties. It also fights several scalp problems, including dandruff.
Here is how I make this hair conditioner at home.
- Use two to three egg yolks to make the mixture.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to it.
- Make a paste with these ingredients using some water.
- Divide your hair into sections to apply the paste properly.
- Keep your hair covered with a shower cap and let your hair absorb the conditioner for around two hours.
- Shampoo your hair with cold water.
I apply this homemade hair conditioner once a week. You can try this twice if your curls are very rough.
Shea Butter Hair Conditioner
Shea butter, with a lot of antioxidants and vitamin C, cures dandruff and other scalp problems. It conditions your curls and prevents split ends. It is also great for proper hydration of your hair.
Want to try this homemade hair conditioner? Here is the step-by-step guide.
- Use 1 tablespoon of shea butter.
- Mix it with coconut oil and argan oil in a 1:2:1 ratio.
- You can even add a few drops of essential oil.
- Warm up the coconut oil and shea butter mixture before adding argan oil and the essential oil.
- Apply the mixture from your scalp to the tip and leave it for around 1 hour.
- Use cold water to shampoo your hair and apply your regular conditioner.
You can use this conditioner twice, at max thrice a week.
Honey, Banana And Milk Conditioner
No, this is not your comfort food combination for breakfast. This delicious breakfast combo is great for your hair, too.
Honey moisturizes your curls and gives them a fuller and shinier look.
The natural oils, vitamins, and potassium in banana make your hair softer and nourished. Bananas are also helpful if you want extra shine and strength for your hair.
Milk, because of the calcium it has, stops hair fall and strengthens the hair root.
If you want to try this mix at home, here is the recipe for you to try.
- Mash a ripe banana in a bowl.
- Mix it with a tablespoon of honey and three tablespoons of milk.
- Use organic honey for the best result.
- Once you have a thick paste, apply it as a hair conditioner from your hair root to the tip.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and wait for around 40 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water and a gentle shampoo to wash your hair.
Use this conditioner once a week as it has high moisture content.
Honey And Greek Yoghurt With Coconut Milk And Oil
Honey and coconut oil in the mix can moisturize your hair and promote growth. Coconut milk makes the curls loose. So you can detangle the curls easily.
Finally, Greek yogurt makes your hair strong and nourished and fights dandruff.
Here is how you will make the mix at home.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, two tablespoons of organic milk, and a quarter cup of coconut milk.
- Add a few drops of essential oil. (preferably lavender)
- Divide your hair into sections so that you can easily apply the conditioner.
- Roll your hair up and keep it covered with your shower cap for around one hour.
- Use cold water and a gentle shampoo for washing your hair.
Thanks to the heavy moisturizing property of the mix, you should ideally use it twice or thrice a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar Curly Hair Conditioner
Apple cider vinegar is great for moisturizing your hair and detangling your curls.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water.
- Shampoo your hair and apply your regular hair conditioner.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar mix into your hair.
- Do not keep it for longer to avoid coarseness/dryness in your curls.
- Wash your hair properly.
This conditioner gives the best results when used twice a month.
Using a homemade hair conditioner always works for curls and your hair. By using any of those combinations, you can prevent the contact of your hair with harmful chemicals.
Further, being homemade and packed with natural ingredients, these are ideal for scalp care.
Do you have any other ideas about making a homemade hair conditioner for your curls? Do share, and have a great hair day!